Where to start
- Go online to myeducationquest.org to set up a profile so you can receive emails about Nebraska Scholarships.
- Go to the OHS web page guidance link>Senior Newsletter- check frequently for additions and watch the due dates.
- Go online and take advantage of free scholarship matching services. (Never pay for scholarship searches)
- Go to the web page of the college(s) you have applied to and complete their scholarship application. Watch the deadlines and complete the forms early!! Don't overlook talent scholarships.
- Search your community, place of employment, parents work, and relatives. There are many organizations that may offer awards.
- Get organized and keep the scholarships you are working on separate from those you have not started. Use a calendar to keep track of dates and deadlines. Create a folder system for your applications.
- Know your time frame to apply. Complete and submit the easiest scholarships first. Then focus on the applications that take more time. Allow plenty of time when requesting letters of recommendation (see letters of recommendation link for sample forms). Follow directions and don't omit required information.
- If an essay is required personalize your essay and be passionate. Make your application stand out from the crowd. Give examples and be specific.
- Remember to check your spelling and grammar. Typed applications are preferred.
- Proofread your materials and have a teacher or parent review your application and essay before submitting it online or by mail.
- Keep a copy of your application.
- Do you qualify? Every year, students waste time by applying for awards they are not eligible to win. If you don't meet the criteria, don't enter!
- Is your application presented well? Type your essay and check for grammar and spelling errors. Place the essay and application in a large envelope for mailing. Do not fold any materials.
- Did you include all required documents? Make sure you include all required academic transcripts, references, financial information, and letters of recommendation. If the letters of recommendation are to be mailed, provide the teacher/adult with a self addressed stamped envelope.
- Did you answer all of the questions? Double-check that you haven't forgotten any required information.